About

Paula Antonakos-Boswell

We are archivists of our family histories and share their stories, photos, lives, dreams and memories.

We have an intense love for our homeland and passionate about connecting with our international “cousins” who live in, or are descended from, the interconnected villages of Amykle, Sklavohori, Mahmoutbei, Godena, Peristeri, Riza, Vafeio (Marbali), Mandra, Tsaousi, Katsarou, Kalami, Gounari, Kalyvia Socha and surrounding areas.

Diane Gotses Jackson

,

Amykles Villages – Χωριά των Αμυκλών History Project is an effort to collect the stories, digital archived interviews, photos, and documents, of its members, thereby preserving both our present and our past for years to come.

We are encouraging any generation to contribute written and oral histories, books, articles, stories, pictures, and other archives about the “sons” and “daughters” of the Amykles Villages.

Please visit the archives hosted on this website and archive.org.

The History of the Municipality of Amykles
“After the liberation of Otto in Greece by the Law of the Regency of December 27, 1833, on the establishment of Municipalities, it was determined that the villages with more than 300 inhabitants would be separate municipalities with their own municipal lords. Essentially, at that time, Amykles became a municipality with a Mayor, a Deputy Mayor and a Council.  The Municipality of Amykles consisted of the settlements of Sklavohori, Mandra, Mahmutbei, Katsarou, Tsaousi, Godena, Riza, Marbali and Soha.
The seat of the Municipality was Sklavochori.

In 1846, the Amykles Municipality was abolished and annexed to the municipality of Sparta, to which Mystras, Agiannis, Magoula, Tripi and the smaller villages around Sparta belonged.
Amykles remained in the Municipality of Sparta until 1912 when the Law On Communities came into force.” (Translated from “Amyklai”, Sarandos P. Antonakos)
GOVERNMENT GAZETTE (ΕΦΗΜΕΡΙΔΑ ΚΥΒΕΡΝΗΣΕΩΣ)
FEK article 261, August 31, 1912 (31-8-1912, ΦΕΚ 261/1912)
https://www.eetaa.gr/metaboles/fek/1912/fek_261a_1912.pdf